The various points of distinction between negotiation and assignment are discussed below:-
1. Negotiation requires delivery only to constitute a transfer, whereas assignment requires a written document signed by the transferor.
2. Consideration is always presumed in the case of transfer by negotiation. In the case of assignment consideration must he proved.
3. In case of negotiation, notice of transfer is not necessary, whereas in the case of assignment notice of the transfer must be given by the assignee to the debtor.
4. The assignee takes the instrument subject to all the defects in the title of the transferor. If the title of the assignor was defective the title of the assignee is also defective. However, in case of negotiation the transferee takes the instrument free from all the defects in the title of the transferor. A holder in due course is not affected by any defect in the title of the transferor, He may therefore have a better title than the transferor.
5. In case of negotiation a transferee can sue the third party in his own name. But an assignee cannot do so.
Effect of negotiation:
Negotiation involves transfer of ownership of the instrument from its holder to the other person. When the instrument has been transferred by negotiation the holder who has taken it for value gets good title to the instrument notwithstanding any defect in the title of the transferor, except in the case of forgery because forgery conveys no title. Thus, where the title of any prior endorser is defective by virtue of fraud, coercion or misrepresentation, the bonafide holder who has taken the instrument, in good faith gets a good title. Negotiation thus conveys a better title to the transferee than the transferor, when the holder is a holder in due course.
lighting materials,wholesale millwork,molding and millwork,moulding and millwork, Woodworking Power Tools,Southern Lumber,Used Power Tools,Best Power Tools, Plumbing Wholesale,Sheet Molding Compound SMC,. ReadBy: Cch5729 | 2013-03-27
The Executive communication coaching makes you capable of doing business in a flat world marketplace. These kinds of training programmes are specifically developed for those who work across cultural boundaries to undertake negotiations, attend meetings or present to international audiences.. ReadBy: Deborahswa | 2013-01-23
A Greater diversity to internal communications in an organization can be better for business as different proportions of people take up information in different ways. The main purpose of any communication is to engage the receiver and prompt a desired action.. ReadBy: Deborahswa | 2012-11-15
A partner by estoppel is one who represents himself to be a partner in the firm. But in reality he is not so. This kind of partner is not a real partner of the firm but “by words spoken or written or by conduct, represents him, or knowingly permits him to be represented to be a partner in a firm.. ReadBy: Umar Hafeez | 2012-03-29 | Ethics