KINDS OF FOLLOW UP SALES LETTERS
(Sales Letter Systems)
Follow- up sales letters have three kinds.
1. Wear-out system
2. Continuous system
3. Campaign system
Wear Out System
The purpose of such letters is to sell low priced goods by mail. The letters are sent to a selected list of prospective customers for several weeks or months until the letters fail to get response. Then you make a new list of prospective customers. Usually books, magazines, etc. are sold in this system, and their annual subscription is obtained this way.
Under this system present or prospective customers are kept in touch for a product or service, which is of high value or price and for which there is a recurrent demand. Under this system, the letters may be written to sell goods and services directly to invite enquiries, urge the readers to visit the shop or show room, make an announcement, send greetings, and use other ways to promote relationships with customers. These letters are sent at regular or irregular intervals until the relationship is of value.
This system of letters is adopted by departmental stores, specialty stores, banks, insurance companies, wholesale institutions, and manufacturing firms.
These letters are written for the following purposes
1. To pursue sales enquiries -
2. To secure renewal of orders by mail
3. To produce any type of sales action
Under campaign system letters emphasize conviction and stimulation. In these letters a target date or deadline is given. After the date the special offer lapses. Therefore, such letters should be written well ahead of the deadline.
In campaign system letters you may make special offer or inducement to your prospects.
Sales letters may also be divided into (1) solicited sales letters, and (2) Unsolicited sales letters.
Solicited Sales Letters.
These are written in reply to enquiries about terms of sales, prices, discounts, catalogs, deliveries, sources of supply, varieties, products, product line, credit, guarantee, return of merchandise, and the like. Such letters are also known as invited sales letters.
Unsolicited Sales Letters
Unsolicited sales letters are also referred to as prospecting or cold turkey key letters. They are not replies to queries, and rather initiated by the seller who addresses the prospective buyers. The category of sellers who adopt this approach of selling includes direct mail houses, chain stores, wholesalers, and manufacturers. Usually unsolicited sales letters are not welcomed because of gimmicks, exaggeration, impersonal approach, insincerity, and lack of AIDA approach.
in addition to the AIDA principles the following guidelines will help you write a successful and efficacious sales letters:
1. Gather all technical physical and other data of your product, such as its functions, composition, contents, design, color, size, model, life, guarantee etc.
2. Know what type of reader he is, that is, his age, education, status, experience, interest, and family members.
3. Obtain a mailing list from telephone directories, or other reliable and updated sources. The mailing list should contain correct addresses, right spelling of names, right prefixed and titles.
4. Decide on the purpose, such as, direct sale, to quicken lost customers, or to stimulate future sales.
5. Direct sale letter requires previous demonstration, advertising.
6. Choose the main, idea and appeal to convince the prospect. You may stress on quick turnover, comfort, safety, durability, and utility. Here you should avoid gimmicks, exaggeration.
7. Plan the presentation, revise, and proofread.
8. Support your letter with enclosures, such as, testimonials, pictures, samples, gimmicks, order blank, and pamphlet. Gimmicks and gadgets should be used tactfully. Here gimmick means something attractive and new, as, self-winding windows in a car.
9. Tailor makes the size of the letter. In the case of enclosure, the letter should be one-page long; otherwise it may be somewhat longer than one page.
10. Appearance of the envelope and the letter should be attention drawing.
11. Timing of the letter is very important. Untimely letters are waste of labor, time, and cost.
If you have recently embarked on a job hunt, here are some tips that will help you stand out so you can obtain the dream job you've always wanted. More >>
The demand for gold and silver has been constantly increasing, in last ten years. The demand and supply for the same has been steadily increasing, which makes it one of the best options for the traders. Although it is a favorable market, it includes considerable risk. More >>
A product box can do wonders for your business, if its professionally designed and basic things are given importance and considered. For instance writing catchy lines with colorful printing on the box different from the rest will definitely grab customers attention as compared to the product box whi More >>
The process of making oil took millions of years as when animals died they sank into the mud at the bottom of ocean in millions of years they converted into organic substance which results in crude oil and natural gas. More >>
Chemicals and requires bulk chemicals for manufacturing their products India, than it becomes necessary to chose trusted and reliable chemical supplier company that provide best quality chemicals and services as well. More >>
Barter System - Barter System is that system in which goods are exchanged for goods - Barter System More >>
Objectives of Business means the purpose for which the business is established. It is generally believed that the main objective of business is ta make profit and avoid loss. More >>
Functions of Money - Functions of Money as a Medium of Exchange, Measure of Value, Deferred Payment, Store of Value - Functions of Money More >>
The importance of business is that it provides products or services to customers. More >>
The partners of a firm are broadly divided into three main categories. General Partners, Special Partners and Other Partners. More >>