Duties or obligations of a banker towards the customer
(1) To honor a customer’s cheque. The banker is to honor the cheques of the customers provided the cheques are:
(i) Properly drawn.
(ii) The customer has balances to his credit.
(iii) The loan contract has been signed.
(iv) There is no legal bar or restriction attaching to the customer’s funds.
(2) Standing Orders. It is the duty of the bank to abide by the standing orders of the customers in making periodical payments on his behalf such as club, library, insurance premiums, etc.
(3) Secrecy of the Customer’s Account. The bank owes a contractual duty not to disclose the customer’s financial position without his consent.
However, the obligation of secrecy is not considered essential on the following occasions:-
(1) When a banker is required to give evidence in the Court.
(2) When there is national emergency and disclosure is essential in the public interest.
(3) When there are clear proofs of treason to the State.
(4) When a consent is given by the customer to provide information for the preparation of balance sheet.
(4) Garnishee Order. (Order of the Court). If is the duty of the banker to abide by the order of the court (called garnishee order) and attach the funds of the customer to the creditor who has obtained the order in his favor.
Rights of a banker:
(i) Right to set off. It is a right of the banker to adjust his outstanding Joan (debit) in the name of the customer from his credit balance of any of the accounts he s maintaining with the bank.
(ii) Right to chargé interests commission etc. If is t right of the banker to charge interest, commission etc according the prevalent rates for the services the banker has’ rendered to the customer as agent, trustee, bailee etc.
(iii) Right to lien. A banker has the right to retain the property belonging to the customer until the debt due from him has been paid.
What does it take to properly franchise your business? How much should you budget when planning out a budget? More >>
Microsoft is working on an update to Windows 8 and RT and will be releasing a preview version of it in June More >>
It has become so much easier today than it was fifty years ago running an online business. More >>
If you are planning to obtain an Apartment on rent in Hyderabad, so dont think just move ahead. Apartment or flat on rent is the best relegate, you have ever seen and live. More >>
Orange beach is located in the southernmost part of Alabama. People enjoy a lot due to their soft sandy beaches and stunning bright green seas. More >>
Barter System - Barter System is that system in which goods are exchanged for goods - Barter System More >>
Objectives of Business means the purpose for which the business is established. It is generally believed that the main objective of business is ta make profit and avoid loss. More >>
Functions of Money - Functions of Money as a Medium of Exchange, Measure of Value, Deferred Payment, Store of Value - Functions of Money More >>
The importance of business is that it provides products or services to customers. More >>
The partners of a firm are broadly divided into three main categories. General Partners, Special Partners and Other Partners. More >>